The Biblical role of a deacon is one of compassion, witness, and service. At Union Church, our deacons are truly the hands and feet of Jesus as they reach out in His love to the hurting, the poor, and those with needs both physical and spiritual.
Here are some recent ways our deacons have been a blessing in ministry to our congregation and our community:
- Keeping in contact with the shut-ins through regular phone calls and delivery of Sunday church bulletins and newsletters. Each shut-in is visited at least once per quarter and receives meals following church dinners.
- Mailing of cards and letters to shut-ins, youth at school, those sick or in the hospital, those having birthdays and others.
- Responding to requests for assistance during a time of need.
- Serving funeral luncheons at the church.
- Supporting and volunteering at local food pantries.
- Supplying Sunday School classrooms with first aid kits and other supplies.
- Donating school supplies to students in need in multiple school districts.
- Supporting national and international relief efforts after natural disasters.
- Making meals for those who are sick, grieving or recovering from illness.
- Organizing a toy collection at Christmas time.
“Let us consider how we may spur one another on
toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together,
as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another….”
— Hebrews 10:24-25
The purpose of the Church Life Committee is to develop and maintain the fellowship among church members through social interaction and to help feed the spirituality of His disciples. This is done by offering a variety of activities and showing support for church members, friends and the community at large.
So we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.